Sunday, February 20, 2011

Is Submission a Dirty Word?

Every company has a boss.  Every classroom has a teacher. Every school has a principle.  Every country has a president or leader.  How come it's not politically correct for every family to have a leader? 

Wives are commanded in Scripture to submit to their husbands.  This doesn't mean men are allowed to abuse their wives, but there has to be one person in charge that gets the final decision.  Things just don't work out well when there are two bosses. 

One of the young women I mentored just called me a few days ago.  She was married a few months ago and said that she and her husband were butting heads a lot.  I told her that was because they both wanted to be boss and she wasn't it. 

I think that is a huge issue in lots of marriages.  We want our way.  It is normal but doesn't lend itself to a conflict-free marriage.  I am far from being the perfectly submissive wife but I am consistently working on being better at it. 

I still want to be right and have the last say but I'm much better about not always having to be right and having the last word than I use to be. Being submissive isn't a horrible thing.  It's the way God intended and His ways are always best!

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.
Ephesians 5:22