Friday, February 28, 2014

Alisa's Super Moist Roasted Chicken


My sister, Alisa, and her daughter, Ali, took an extensive health class last year.  They learned so much about eating healthy and building up your body.  Alisa has a food blog that she is slowly adding all her favorite recipes and I wanted to share it with you. {My daughter, Cassi, also has a great one called Live Right Be Healthy.}

Alisa has told me numerous times how healthy bone broth is for good digestion, strong teeth and bones, and overall health.  It is so easy to make and makes all soups take so much better.  I try to have several cups of it a day.

I have been using my roasted chicken recipe for many years now and I love it.  If you like to eat the skin and the skin to be crunchy, use my recipe.  However, Alisa's roasted chicken is guaranteed to always be super moist, the fall apart moist, and it doesn't make a mess of your oven!  {As I took it out of the pan to put on my bread board for this picture, the wings fell off as you can see!}

What you need ~
 1 whole organic chicken
 1/4 to 1/3 cup melted ghee {I melt mine in a stainless steel measuring cup}
 Thyme
 Garlic powder
 Sea salt
 Pepper

 Equipment ~
 Large baking dish with lid

What you do ~
 Preheat oven to 300º
 Remove anything that is inside chicken
 Rinse chicken and pat dry with several paper towels
 Place chicken in oven-proof pan {one that has a lid}
 Use hands to coat chicken with melted ghee
 Sprinkle entire chicken with thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper
 Place in oven, covered, for 2 hours
 Remove lid, increase temperature to 350º and cook for additional 30 minutes.

 After chicken is cooked, drain off all of the liquid into glass jar. Once the liquid cools, put lid on and refrigerate for later.  Allow the chicken to sit for 20 minutes before eating.
 Enjoy!

Remember to save all of the skin that was not eaten and the bones for making bone broth. Store bones and skin in freezer if not making broth immediately.

Ingredients from Trader Joe's: whole organic chicken
Ingredients from iHerb: ghee, organic thyme, organic garlic powder, Real Salt or Celtic Sea Salt, organic pepper
Find iherb products HERE {Use code RIG870 for $10 off your first order!}


Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, 
or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
I Corinthians 10:31