Friday, March 21, 2014

What is the Best Flooring to Buy?


When we moved into this home 16 years ago, we put dark green carpet in our family room. I loved it because it never showed any stains. I have to vacuum it all the time, however, because it shows every piece of lint.  We are getting our 15 year old couches covered so I thought it was time to get new carpet.

I went to a carpet store and there were thousands of colors and samples to look at. {This is simply overwhelming to me.} I told the owner, who had been there 35 years, what I wanted and the price I wanted to pay and he found a great one for me.

When he came over to measure my room, he told me that 35 years ago when he began selling carpet, 80% of the orders were carpet, 10% tile, and 10% wood. Now it is 70% wood, 20% carpet, and 10% tile. He said the tile hurts women's muscles and joints since it is so hard. Carpet looks bad after 10 years {especially after four or five washings} so it needs to be replaced. Carpet is made completely from toxic chemicals and gathers germs, bacteria, pollutants, and everything else that comes off the streets. Wood floors last forever. By the time someone has replaced their carpet one time, they could have gotten wood.  He said that no other place in the world do they use carpet like Americans do.  

I have wood floors in the rest of my home. I love having wood floors. We have not done one thing to them in 16 years and they still look great. They are easy to clean and even when they get a little knicked up, they look good.

I thought this was interesting information from a man who has dealt in flooring for 35 years. By the way, he gave me a really good deal because he said I "was so kind! Kindness goes a long way."  On a side note, I wanted to recover my couches because I loved them so much. Fifteen years ago, we spent $4500 on our couches. They are Taylor King and very well made, stuffed with down. They are so comfortable. I only needed to get new ones because the fabric is falling apart.

I told Ken I really want to just recover my couches instead of buy anything new. I went to the retailer where I bought them and could have them recovered for $6000 or brand new for $7800! I knew Ken would never let me spend that kind of money on couches. My neighbor told me of a woman who does it for so much less. I called her and she would cover them for $775! I thought it was a joke! I bought material for $700, therefore, it is only costing my under $1500 to recover them. I am so happy I get to keep my couches!

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, 
and cometh down from the Father of lights, 
with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
James 1:17