Monday, June 23, 2014

What Happened To Cooking For Your Family?


When I go shopping to a few of my favorite food markets, I like to get my food checked out by one of the cashiers that I have gotten to know. Recently, I was with one and we began conversing with each other. Somehow cooking came up and she told me that when she met her husband, she informed him that she doesn't cook at all. Therefore, he has learned to do all the cooking.

I am amazed at how many women don't cook today. It is almost as if they are proud of it. I think within the label of "keeper at home" and "She is like the merchants' ships; she brings her food from afar. She rises also while it is yet night, and gives meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens"{Proverbs 31:14,15}, there is the job for women of cooking for their family and feeding them nourishing food.

When I was raising my children, I didn't want them to have any junk: junk food, junk television, junk books, etc. I was very careful to feed them healthy food, made sure they read good books, monitored what they watched on television, what friends they hung out with, etc. I wanted to be responsible for what their hearts, minds, and bodies consumed, not allow strangers to be the ones responsible who could care less about their mental, physical, or spiritual health.

Women need to learn to stop using the excuse that they don't know how or don't want to cook. If you can read, you can learn how to cook. There are so many television cooking shows, YouTube videos, books, etc. that there is really no excuse not to be a good cook and even learn to enjoy it. This is a ministry you have for your family and it should be a priority to you.

Everyone loves a good home cooked meal. To walk into a home and smell the aromas of yummy food, makes home a home. We use to hear that the way to a man's heart was through his stomach. I guess today's woman doesn't care about winning a man's heart much anymore.