Saturday, August 16, 2014

Requiring Husbands to Help Around The Home


My mom married my dad when she was 21 years old.  Shortly after I was born, she had to leave her home and family to move to California where my dad was in medical school.  She raised all three of us without any family or help from my dad.  I have heard her admit how difficult it was to leave her family but I never heard her complain about my dad not helping her with the home or children.

We have a ton of appliances and items that make being a homemaker so much easier than women did many years ago.  We have dishwashers, ovens, running water, hot water, vacuums, iron, electricity, lights, etc. that women of long ago didn't have.  My mom had all of these modern conveniences and was very thankful.  What has happened to women today?

I expected Ken to help me around the house and was often mad at him if he didn't.  He was working and traveling many hours and days a year to make a living for our family and I still expected more from him.  Why is that?  How come we expect so much more from our husbands than our mothers and grandmothers did?

I believe it is the feminist movement that has tried to convince us that male and female roles are the same.  Women should help be providers and men should help being keepers at home.  Many women were convinced that working outside the home is more fulfilling, so they left the home and expected their husbands to help pick up the slack of being gone from the home so many hours a day.

God specifically commanded women to be keepers at home and to guide the home.  Men are to be the protectors and providers of the home.  This is His ideal situation.  We must strive towards His ideal because His ways are always best. Yes, the years when the children are young are long and difficult, but God always seems to give us the strength we need for each day and what He has called for us to do.

Now, like I have said before, if your husband helps around the home and with the children, GREAT!  If not, love, serve, and please him any ways and thank him consistently for working so hard for you and your children.  They have to work for many more years than you have to be a mother with children at home.  The early years pass quickly and children want and need a peaceful home where mom and dad love each other deeply.  Work hard giving this to them and be content with your ministry in the home.  It is your high calling from God.

She looketh well to the ways of her household, 
and eateth not the bread of idleness.
Proverbs 31:27