Thursday, March 12, 2015

She Gave Her Gift Away


The other day I {TheJoyFilledWife} was running an errand with one of my children and as we got back in the car, buckled up, and drove away, I noticed that it was an unusually quiet ride. The particular child I had with me that day is of the talkative variety and is rarely void of words to say. Sensing something wasn’t normal, I pulled up to the stop light and glanced in the back seat. My glance was met with sad eyes and an equally sad spirit.

“What’s wrong, sweetie?”

“I’m just feeling sad and disappointed, Mom.”

“Why? What happened hon?”

“She gave her gift away.”

“Who did? What gift?”

“That girl we were standing in front of in line inside the building…the one wearing clothes that show her stomach, her thighs, her bottom, her back, and her chest. Her body is supposed to be a special gift for only her husband, Mom, but she gave her gift away to everyone. It just made me feel sad inside, so I prayed for her to realize what she is doing.”

The conversation with my child that day impacted me in a huge way and made me look at the topic of modesty through a whole new set of eyes. My sweet child was right that day; our bodies are meant to be the temple of the Holy Spirit and a gift only to be unwrapped by our husband. The female body is so powerful and the message we are sending with what we are wearing {or not wearing} should never be taken lightly. God is a god who forgives and is able to purify us from our past choices.

It is my sincere hope and prayer that we would choose today to sever the ties we have with this world and any lies we may be believing about our bodies and the impact our choices have on those around us. If we were a brand new groom on our wedding night, would we want to “unwrap” the gift of our new bride’s body, knowing that it has been willingly given away and  “devoured” by many more men before us? Or would we hope that we were the only one who has ever and will ever have the privilege of seeing and enjoying this precious gift?

Next time we are about to leave the house, may we choose to take that extra 30 seconds to glance in the mirror and ask ourselves honestly, “Am I giving my gift away?”

Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful 
woman without discretion.
Proverbs 11:22